Below are the answers to a few questions we keep getting. If YOU have any questions, then please reach out!
How do I get in contact with the Planning Squad?
We would love to hear from you! Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or reach out to us on Facebook or Instagram and will respond as soon as possible!
What is the meaning of the "X" in 'Womxn'?
Glad you asked! We changed the spelling of the word because we wanted to more inclusive of our trans-, non-binary and gender-fluid family. Furthermore, we realized that "Women of Color Weekend" without additional explanation did not indicate that the event is for the LGBTQIA communities. The bullet points from our original FB post are below;
1. “Womxn” encompasses a broader range of gender identities than “woman” — or even older feminist terms such as “womyn”
2. “Womxn” is one of a few similar lexical and social phenomena, including the adoption of “x” in naming LGBTQ and non-gender-binary people
3. “Womxn” is a departure from patriarchal linguistic norms as “women” and “woman” originate from Old English, where “man” was used as a gender fluid pronoun much like “one” and “they” have turned into today
5. “Womyn,” is considered a white, liberal-feminist concept and, thus, the term “womxn” was created to broaden the scope of womanhood by including “womxn-of-color,” “trans-womxn” and other “womxn-identified” groups
6. ‘Womxn’ is aligned with terms such as “Latinx” which includes people of Latin American descent whose gender identities fluctuate along different points of the spectrum, from agender or nonbinary to gender non-conforming genderqueer and genderfluid
Are non-PoC welcome/allowed to attend?
Yes! We respect and acknowledge that some of our attendees have non-PoC spouses, family members and friends and we therefore welcome them. Throughout the course of the Weekend we will hold space for PoC only, and those events will be clearly indicated on the website and schedule.
Is WoCW a non-profit?
Yes! We are a fiscally sponsored project of Strong City Baltimore.